[Yum-devel] [Fwd: Re: rpm --redhat-requires, rpm --redhat-provides]

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 9 06:14:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 06:11 +0000, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:54:53AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > So,
> >  Who wants to implement rpm --qf arguments for the xml metadata?
>
> you want popt-python back ;)

no, let's not.

> Why stop at rpm --qf go for full blown rpmq support ;)

tbh - if there was a C-based xml-metadata parser I bet getting that
included in rpm would be easier but not nearly as much fun.

> Actually would python queryformats be close enough we could probably
> do some manipulation based on RPM_TAG_TYPE to coerce conversion type.

that might work.

you could definitely keep expansions and padding the same b/c most of
the popt expansion is similar to python string expansions.

As Paul Nasrat just mentioned on irc - if you could get back a dict-
like-object from the xml-metadata for any given object you could do
trivial expansions like rpm --qf "%(stuff)s"

it's not quite the same language as popt - but it's one you already
know. :)