[Yum-devel] OT: rpm bindings for Python

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Wed Sep 8 08:36:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 09:12:07PM -0400, Eric V. Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to find how to use the rpm bindings for python.  I can't find
> any API documentation anywhere.  Google thinks I'm searching for
> specific rpm's, not documentation on the rpm API.  I figure someone here
> would know :).

rpm-python-list at duke has good pointers.

> Mostly I'm just looking for read-only information, the type that would
> be returned by "rpm -qa --qf".  I'd prefer to do it from a python
> script, instead of executing the rpm binary.

For an introduction try:

http://people.redhat.com/pnasrat/rpm-python/rpm-python-slides/frames.html

This takes you through the basics - I'd welcome feedback on a new users
perspective.

The doxygen has some python specific annotations:

file:///usr/share/doc/rpm-devel-4.3.2/apidocs/html/group__python.html

Some other links are in my slides.

Paul