[Yum-devel] download-only backport or yum 2.x on RH <= 8

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Sat Sep 4 03:33:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 12:37 +0930, Chris Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a search through the mailing lists, and google pages to find
> out how I can do one of 2 two things:
>
> a) Use Yum 2 on Rh <= 8.0 boxes
> b) Get a backport of --download-only into 1.0.3.
>
> I've found the thread:
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2003-December/003263.html,
> with subject '[Yum] Patches to backport yum2'.  This looks promising,
> but unfortunately there was no real closure on what outcome was
> chosen, if any, to be included in the current stable release of V2.
>
> Could anyone enlighten me on the status or experiences of the above to
> options?

I'll come out on a limb and say that I'm pretty sure nobody is
interested in keeping yum-1.x alive enough to backport features to it --
certainly not Seth who should be allowed to work on the current version.
That tree is pretty much dead.

As to yum-2.0 on RH < 8 -- if you can make RPM 4.1.(mumble) work on it,
including the python libraries, then it will work. Otherwise, it will
not. It all comes down to the fact that yum-2.0 will not work on rpm-
4.0.4.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev <icon at linux.duke.edu>