[Yum-devel] yum 2.2 (or 3?), FC3, coexistence with "old" yum (was: yum 2.1.8)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Oct 19 13:03:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 01:33:55AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi All,
>  Yum 2.1.8 is available. This is not feature complete for the 2.1 series
> - NOTE 2.1.X is a devel series of functional releases. When it reaches
> feature-parity with 2.0.X it will become 2.2. We're very close now.

o will a feature complete yum 2.2.0 make it for FC3? Official devel
  freeeze is tomorrow.

o since yum 2.2 and yum 2.0 are not compatible, there will be a
  transition period for old vs new metadata. It would be nice to be
  able to install both old and new yum. What's the best way to go?
  Rename yum 2.0.x to "yumold"?

o should yum 2.2 perhaps become yum3 and be also called that way to
  indicate the major change and allow coexitence with yum 2.0.x w/o
  renaming yum 2.0.x?

I am mainly thinking of the current yum repos that have yum 2.0.x
clients deployed and will be migrating to the new metadata format, and
will want to have a (rather) smooth transition (e.g. offer both
formats and both clients and allow a grace period for the users to
switch).

Thanks.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net