[Yum-devel] urlgrabber - new request of silliness

Ryan Tomayko rtomayko at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 03:16:40 UTC 2004

I had planned on handling servers that didn't support range
gracefully. If we send a request with a Range header, there's three
things that can happen:

1. Range is supported, server sends a "206 Partial Content" response
with the partial entity. This is the common case (I hope).

2. Range is ignored, server sends back a 200 with the entire entity.
In this case, we *should* be emulating range by discarding everything
outside of the range. The result would be that the entire entity (up
to the end of the range) must be read but the higher level application
shouldn't see any other difference. It would appear as if range was
supported but the first read would slurp up everything before the
beginning of the range. This was the plan but, looking at the code, I
don't see how it happening.

3. Server explicitly disallows range and sends back an error code or
something. The HTTP RFC doesn't leave this open as possibility but I
could imagine there might servers out there that do this. I'd like to
hear if anyone is seeing an explicit range-not-supported error.

So I'm hoping your refering to #2 above. Can you point me to a server
that has this behavior. I might be able to start piecing something
together.

Ryan