[Yum-devel] Re: [Yum] yum 2.1.7

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 13 22:33:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 15:56, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > - implemented yum makecache. It will make the pickles of all the
> > metadata for all enabled repositories - handy as a cron job to run at
> > night when you're not using the machine.
>
> This appears to bring my machine to its knees - triggering oom-killer
> - which is killing user proceses (and letting yum continue the havoc)
>
> > Let me know what's broken in bugzilla, preferably.
>
> Will add the session log to bugzilla.

It's not committing havoc on anything. It does use a lot of memory
depending on how much metadata we're talking about. B/c it's reading all
of it and writing all of it back out. I'll look into seeing if I can
make it lighter but it may well get heavy.

Now, I've loaded ALL of fedora development tree before and everything
there was only 250MB - so I'm not sure what you're seeing this Gigabytes
from.