[Yum-devel] yum command tree

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Fri May 14 19:41:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 02:37:23PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > I'd almost be tempted to move ALL information commands outside yum:
> >
> >   list, info, search, provides, query, etc.
> >
> > This would tie in nicely with my other suggestions.
>
> so I'm rethinking some - I think keeping the list options of the base
> 'yum' command to be simple ones - nothing really beyond what is
> currently in yum, not by alot
>
> then maybe having a yum-query command where all the crack can be
> located.
>
> the point being - if I'm a new user I'm going to want to do simple
> things - and once my need for certain types of information grows enough
> - then I can look for the more advanced querying tool.
>
> I like that yum is easy for people to use - I'd like it to stay that
> way.

I think that's very reasonable.  Just to be clear, though, I don't
think the super-search function I described before would necessarily
add confusion.  The existing options would remain as aliases so you
could just ignore the super-search if you didn't need it.  However,
your other points are quite valid.

I think this separation is a very reasonable compromise.  I would
advocate that you make an explicit 'yum list all' available, though.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G