[Yum-devel] Yum queue implementation

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 30 04:17:13 UTC 2004

> Problems: move commands don't work.  Run command doesn't work (need
> advice on this function).  No support for yum.conf.  Weak configuration
> in general.  Too complex.   No locking on queue file.  Confusing
> delete/remove semantics.  No duplication check for individual commands.
> Poor documentation.  No test suite.

Hi David,
Looking over this syntax I think this can be narrowed down a bit. The
way I figure it - 90% of the use for this will be 'build up a simple,
single transaction with multiple install/remove/update calls'

If the user wants to do incredibly complex things they can just edit the
xml file on their own.

So what if the commands were:

yum-queue [--qname=myqueue] add install one two
yum-queue [--qname=myqueue] add remove three four
yum-queue [--qname=myqueue] add update five six
yum-queue [--qname=myqueue] del remove three four

So then the user can optionally specify a queuename in the queuefile -
if they don't then it just goes into the default queue name (which can
be whatever)

You might even think about requiring that the queue command be quoted as
a single argument ie:
yum-queue [--qname=myqueue] add 'remove three four'

otherwise it looks pretty cool. I've been working on the new
infrastructure to make building up a transaction fairly simple. I'd like
to include your yum-queue when it's ready.

Thanks,