[Yum-devel] [UG] things to do for 2.9.0

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Mon Mar 15 19:11:04 UTC 2004

OK, based on our little meeting last night, here's what we want to do
for 2.9.0 (which will the the alpha-level release that we show to
people).  This is also roughly when it will go into yum-HEAD.  There
are a lot of things here, but most of them are pretty small, so I
think a couple of weeks is a reasonable timescale.

We should also try and decide who we want to tell about this.  Ideas
so far are:

    - python-announce
    - the authors of portage (gentoo's python-based package manager)
    - Jeremy Katz (anaconda guy)
    - Adrian Likins (up2date guy)
    - Mihai Ibanescu (RH python maintainer and general python guy)
    - Cristian Gafton
    - Thomas Vander Stichele

Additional suggestions would be welcome.  I don't want to spam too
broadly, but if there's a sincere suspicion that someone might be
interested and have suggestions/requests, then I'd like to tell 'em.

ALPHA TODO:

  * mirror.py
    - (mds) make failover more controllable on a per-fetch basis.  For
      example, be able to control whether the _next index is incremented
      at all

  * options
    - (both) try and think of better/faster/cleaner ways to handle
      grabber options
    - (both) think about an interface for setting instance-level
      options for an already-created grabber (presumably, mg instances
      would support this for their options, too)

  * opener
    - (both) try and reduce the number of opener creations - try and
      use an instance-level opener for most fetches.

  * threading/batch
    - (rt) propose an interface for threaded batch downloads
    - (mds) look at making keepalive threadsafe
    - (mds) design a new progress-meter interface for threaded
      multi-file downloads
    - (rt) look at CacheFTPHandler and its implications for batch mode
      and byte-ranges/reget

  * reget
    - (mds) fix bug with self.opts; the reget code can modify
      self.opts in the URLGrabberFileObject, which _may_not_ be a copy
      of the grabber's opts.  Implementation will depend on what we
      decide to do with options.
    - (mds) do a little testing for ftp:// and file://

  * web page
    - (mds) make a proper web page describing the features, philosophy,
      intended audience, etc.  promote urlgrabber from "mini project" to
      full-fledged project

				-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G