[Yum-devel] [UG] the state of the grabber

Michael Stenner mstenner at linux.duke.edu
Sun Mar 14 05:12:53 UTC 2004

I think urlgrabber is coming along splendidly.  In fact, I think we're
rapidly approaching our first milestone, which we've been calling
alpha-1.  The way I've been thinking, alpha-1 means the following:

  We have the "major features" in place and looks enough like what we
  want it to look like that we're willing to show it to people.
  However, things can still change (including interface).

Now, the whole purpose for showing it to people is it would cool for
everyone if some folks found our hard work useful.  The reason for not
showing it sooner is: it had too many missing bits and was still in
flux.  The reason for not showing it later is: if people want serious
things changed, it may be too late.

That said, before we start approaching people, I'd like to have a
little "huddle" and talk about any things we'd like to polish off.
I'd also like to get Seth's opinion about using mirror.py stuff for
the failover behavior in yum.

So, I propose an IRC meeting on irc.linux.duke.edu/#yum tomorrow night
at 10pm eastern time.  I'd really like to have myself, seth, and ryan
present, so if either of you can't do it, lets reschedule.  If anybody
else wants to show up, that's fine.

Just so everyone understands the timescale I'm talking about, I think
we can have our first alpha release and announcement in a couple of
weeks or so.  (mostly be ryan and I have been coding like hell for the
last couple of weeks)

For reference (in case anyone other than seth, ryan, and I are
interested), I'm attaching the TODO.

					-Michael

Minor note to ryan: I set the version to 2.9.0, which I propose be our
first alpha release (roughly when we show this to people).  This is
getting big enough that kernel-style versions probably make sense.
The next stable release would then be 3.0.0.
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G