[Yum-devel] more thoughts

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 7 07:10:52 UTC 2004

Going through the repos class in HEAD tonight. I was wondering should
all the xferring of files be handled inside this class?

all of our config having to deal with a repository is in the repos.
Repository class, I guess what I'm thinking is:

    repo.getRepoXML()
    repo.getPrimaryXML()
    repo.getFileListsXML()
    repo.getOtherXML()

internally those can check if they need to get an updated metadata file
and get them if need be. They all need an argument to tell them if:
we're caching only mode or we're not root.

arguably since we have all the proxy and keepalive info in each
repository we could do things like:

repo.getPackage('foo.pkg')
repo.retrieveHeader(pkgname, start, end)
and handle all the failover, etc stuff in there.

what do you think about that design?

Does it make sense?

Am I missing anything that would make this difficult for being used by a
gui or other-interfaced application?