[Yum-devel] stupid questions

Ryan Tomayko rtomayko at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:34:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:32:58 -0400, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> some use questions that dictate how I'll write some stuff
>
> user says:
>  yum update foo-1.1-1.i386
>   does this mean:
>   please update my system to this package version, specifically.

Yep. IMO, being able to specify the v-r-a is most useful when you want
to say "update to this version or don't update at all." I guess you
could say the same thing for the second option ("update to the latest
version if my current version is x.x.x or don't update at all.") but
the first one seems like it would be useful a little more often.

> additionally:
>  if a user says:
>  yum install bar
>
> they have installed bar-1.1-1.i386
> the repository only has installed bar-1.0-1.i386
>
> should yum:
>    happily downgrade the package, since the user clearly asked to
> install bar, no matter to the version?
>    OR
>   exit and say "the only available version of bar is a lesser version
> than the installed version of bar, if you'd like to install the lesser
> version please completely specify the version in the command"

I'm for the second option. It just seems safer/smarter. Maybe instead
of exiting this could be integrated into the y/n prompt. Kind of a
hybrid third option? Something like:

I will do the following:
[update: gnome-session 2.6.0-4.i386]
[downgrade:  bar-1.1-1.i386 to bar-1.0-1.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y

- Ryan Tomayko