[Yum-devel] yum GUI

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 2 07:08:00 UTC 2004

I have been reading-up on the list concerning GUI devel. A thread in March
discusses some of the detail of the code ... but this post from Seth
approaches the interface to which I will add a few words:

SETH OFFERS
"So I think the best place to start would be to describe what you think is a
useful set of features in a gui that updates packages and start working on an
interface that implements that."

At Terra Soft, we are receiving a lot of requests for a GUI for yum, mostly
from newbies who prefer to avoid the command line. We are wanting to make
this happen by the close of the summer and are eager/willing to put some
effort into this project.

Based upon customer feedback, it seems the yum GUI should offer the level of
simplicity that OS X offers wherein:

	 - A floating window enables a selection of available apps (read live from a
remote db), broken-down into the usual categories (devel, server, office,
games, etc.).

	 - The size of each package and estimated download speed (if this can be
determined by a live query of the connection or the user's Preferences)
should be displayed.

	 - A comparison of those apps installed for which there exists an available
update with the type of update (security, patch, or new release).

	 - And of course, a failure/success designation for those apps installed.

But ultimately, to be able to search for keywords, package names, even
categories (biology, chemistry, video editing) similar but in advance of what
we have here: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/software/3rd_party/ ...
would be great. This could be a sep function built-into the local app ...

Just my initial two-bits. Looking forward to this discussion.

Sincerely,
kai