[Yum-devel] yum clean options

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Apr 19 12:37:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 22:48 -0700, shiva kumar wrote:

> apt has a autoclean option
> 'apt-get autoclean'autoclean clears  out  the local
> repository  of retrieved  package files. The
> difference is that it only removes package files that
> can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless.
> This allows a cache to be maintained over a long
> period
>  without it growing out  of  control.
>
> Does yum also have a similar feature ? All I see is a
> yum clean oldheaders. What if I want to remove
> packages that can no longer be downloaded. This should
> also support the -c (different conf file) option.
> I am having problems with yum not ordering the rpms
> corrctly in some cases. So I would prefer using yum in
> download-only mode and do rpm -Uvh *.rpm.

so these are two separate problems.
what problems are you seeing with ordering? rpm -Uvh is NOT safe if
you're updating kernels.

Why is deleting packages that cannot be downloaded valuable, it seems
like you'd want to keep those that can't be downloaded.

maybe I'm missing the point.

but I want to know what ordering issues you're having first.