[Rpm-metadata] A few questions about the 'groups.xml' file

何焜 kun.he at cs2c.com.cn
Mon Apr 21 10:21:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

 I have some questions and I have tried to find the answers of them
from the official website of
createrepo(http://createrepo.baseurl.org/wiki), but it writes "FIXME The
specification needs better and more current documentation and needs to be
included here. :)". So I need yours' helps.

 Q1:Is there any specification
or document about the 'GROUPS.XML.[GZ]' and 'GROUPS.XML'. We knew that
using createrepo -g groups.xml can product 'GROUPS.XML.[GZ]' and add it
into the repodata, but who products the original 'GROUPS.XML' group file?
And what is the specification of the 'GROUPS.XML' file?

 Q2: The rpm
package have a "group tag" , we can get it by 'rpm -qi' command. Also, the
'GROUPS.XML' used by 'createrepo -g' also make a defination of package
groups. What the differences between them?

Thanks!

 --

何焜
中标软件有限公司