[Rpm-metadata] genpkgmetadata.py

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Feb 23 08:40:30 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 06:16 PM, James Antill wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 10:29 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>> On 2012-02-16 18:29, James Antill wrote:
>>
>>>      Limit number of workers to 128 (should be enough for anyone :).
>>
>> Sure, but out of curiosity, why?
>
>   Well if the user does --workers=666666 ... I think we can both agree
> bad things will probably happen. You think the limit should be higher? I
> picked 128 kind of randomly, although --workers=0 will still do it as
> number of cores even if you have 1024 cores.

Since the point is to protect the innocent... I suspect 128 workers
would quite effectively kill a lowly single-core system anyway. Wouldn't
it be more useful to cap it based on the actual number of cores on the
system? Say, num_cpus_online() times two or four or thereabouts, to
allow testing multiple workers on non-SMP system but with a reasonably
safe upper limit.

Not that I actually care, just seems like a nice subject for bikeshedding :P

	- Panu -