[Rpm-metadata] repomd tags question

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 14 16:14:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 11:34 -0400, Jon Wallace wrote:
> The createrepo command provides for <distro> and <content> tags in
> repomd.xml.  My question is, what other repository or install related
> commands read these tags and make use of them?  Does yum?  Or are the
> tags provided for manual inspection and custom tools.  Other than the
> createrepo manpage I can't find any documentation suggesting how these
> tags are used once they exist in the repomd file.

 Both zypper and yum parse them. Atm. the only thing yum does with them
is display them in "repolist -v" ... at various points there have been
discussions about triggering debuginfo/source repos. based on them
(instead of repoid, which is currently used).
 Note that "revision" is also saved in a few places (saved transactions,
yumdb, etc.) ... but nothing automatically "uses" it atm.