[Rpm-metadata] repository isolation

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 20 16:52:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 11:00 -0500, Jon Wallace wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are repositories isolated entities?  I'm trying to determine if there is
> any way that createrepo allows dependencies at the repository level.  In
> other words, using Repository-B would have a dependency on the existance
> of Repository-A and the content of Repository-A would be available as well.

To twist this around - what's the problem with having RepoA and RepoB
available? Why do you need B to pull in A? Why not just have them both
enabled? OR is this a case of wanting an infinite set of interdependent
repos and wanting them to be enabled dynamically based on what repos are
explicitly enabled?

If so - then this is not really something that createrepo can do - it
has to be handled in the pkg manager using the repodata: smart, yum,
zypper, etc.

It might be worth describing the actual use case you're interested in -
including the scale of the repos (how many, how interdependent, how
complex) and maybe we can come up with a solution.

I can think of a few ways off the top of my head using yum plugins.