[Rpm-metadata] createrepo: external locking?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 25 14:46:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 15:48 +0200, Oliver Hookins wrote:
> > I don't see how createrepo locking the dir would help unless all other
> > apps honored the locks quasi-sanely.
> >
> > Is there a reason you cannot just make the program(s) which need to
> > access the metadata run in sequence and not in parallel?

First:
Could you subscribe to the list from the address you're posting from? I
don't enjoy approving emails for delivery.

> Not easily, and it's not desirable. The build process is often very long but the
> RPM generation and subsequent metadata generation is relatively short. I don't
> think we can put locks in our build system for just this part of the build,
> sadly.

So then I'm confused again

you have N build processes - at the end of the process they spit out an
rpm or a set of rpms into your repo dir - and they run createrepo - but
they could be finishing at roughly the same time and therefore will
tread on one another?

Do they all need to update the metadata immediately following their
builds?

Can you have them notify the createrepo runner that their builds are
completed?