[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

Duncan Mac-Vicar P. dmacvicar at suse.de
Mon Aug 16 14:54:01 UTC 2010

On 08/04/2010 08:40 PM, James Antill wrote:
>   It so happens that createrepo is the most active (newest features,
> etc.) program used to generate repomd data and that:
>
>      git log --since=2004-01-01 | egrep '^Author'
>
> ...contains just Fedora/RHEL people. That isn't our fault and we try to
> take input from everyone (but we aren't going to make everyone's life
> harder, just to make yours easier).

I guess you are using the Author tag incorrectly then.

http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2007-May/000764.html
shows some patches contributed by Christoph Thiel that were committed.

Also, there were other patches described in
http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2007-May/000770.html
that seems to have been ignored.

I submitted the same patches later:
http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2008-September/000980.html
and they were ignored.

At the end, our createrepo package version lagged behind for long time
(0.4.x when 0.9.x was upstream) because the old one worked in production
(build service was using it) and nobody wanted to deal with those
patches anymore.

>   Saying "one distro. making decisions for us" is, at best, misleading.

I agree, misleading. But as you can see from above, the interest in
other distributions has not been IMHO "optimal" either.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Novell® Making IT Work As One™