[Rpm-metadata] metadata layout problems and some history

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Aug 9 21:01:18 UTC 2010

seth vidal wrote:

>>> - Smart runs an indexer over the xml files to generate the byte-
>>> offset
>>> locations of pkgs in the xml file so it can seek to those locations
>>> quickly.
>>
>> Except that quick-er doesn't mean that it still wasn't dog slow...

> So help me understand what would make your situation better? What
> would
> make the rpm-md less problematic for smart?

It seems like the best is to use a custom second-level cache.

The parsing of the XML, or the connection to the SQL, is still
more troublesome to maintain. Especially if it might change...

Currently "info" contains:
location
build_time
installed_size
size
md5
sha
sha256
description
summary
url
sourcerpm
group
license

That's the fields that aren't needed in the first-level cache.

For rpm headerlists or deb tagfiles we keep the file offsets,
but this doesn't translate to repodata so using the yum pkgid.

But I wouldn't say it's "problematic". Missing rpm groups or
required yum comps might be, but not all rpm distros have it.

Only other changes were the requests from distros using smart,
such as missing fields in the markup or better compression...

--anders