[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 6 18:05:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 13:35 -0400, Robert Xu wrote:
> where everyone can help, I see a Red Hat project with a dictatorship. Right now,
> rpm5 sounds much more open source.

Sigh - dictatorship... really? That's your word choice?

You don't think that's a bit dramatic?

As far as rpm being open source - rpm.org is right there - you're
welcome to talk to the maintainers Not all of them work for red hat,
last time I checked. Keep that in mind.

> >  How is it yum/Fedora specific? Zypper is now the only major program
> > which doesn't understand sqlite for primary/filelists/other. And, as
> > I've said explicitly before, XML support isn't going to be removed
> > anytime soon (although I wouldn't be shocked if --database-only because
> > _default_ within the next 12 months).
>
> Answer that yourself. Think about it. We'll give you some time.

Wow, that remark is rude and unnecessary. Please be civil. (You too,
James)

> For yum. Again, we're taking this from a "yum is the standard and so
> is red hat's way"
> XML is slower to YUM. Not some other tools like zypper.

Great. and?

This list has been overwhelmingly silent for a while. I used to post
more here but when it became obvious that no one was listening I
stopped.

> Think about this: What if every distribution switched to rpm5? Not
> likely, but what if they did?

If rhel ever switched to using rpm5 let's just say I'll be very
surprised. It's not outside the realm of possibility but I personally
think it is unlikely.

> I've seen rpm5 packages popping up everywhere (surprising number, and
> it's growing).
> Many distributions are already moving over to rpm5. Be wise about decisions.

I know you don't believe me, but I am being wise about decisions.

I do not think rpm5 is a wise decision.

As I said before - I'm not making any changes that explicitly rule it
out - but I'm also not caring one way or another about compatibility
with that fork.

Remember - the metadata, which this list is devoted to, is a format
standard Createrepo is a reference implementation that A LOT of people
happen to use. you're welcome to write another implementation that
creates the same format.

I know there is at least one branch of createrepo out there that handles
the softdeps included in pkgs.