[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 4 18:40:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 11:30 -0600, Matthew Dawkins wrote:

>         the trick is making repos which will work with old and new
>         versions of
>         various pkg mgmt tools.
>
> Like Robert Xu said. Let the distros hash out what format and
> compression they want to provide in their own repos and not let one
> person or distro make that decision for us.

 If everyone wants to patch createrepo to hell and back, and have 666
differently compatible versions of repomd ... it's OSS, you can do that.
Go have fun. But, to be frank, don't call it repomd and unsubscribe from
this mailing list because you are just doing your own thing.

 The much better option is to have a group of upstream maintainers that
will produce the best possible migration path from where we are now, to
where we want to be. And, IMNSHO, that does _not_ including everything
supporting 666 different things, or having repodata with 666 different
formats in it.
 It so happens that createrepo is the most active (newest features,
etc.) program used to generate repomd data and that:

    git log --since=2004-01-01 | egrep '^Author'

...contains just Fedora/RHEL people. That isn't our fault and we try to
take input from everyone (but we aren't going to make everyone's life
harder, just to make yours easier).
 Saying "one distro. making decisions for us" is, at best, misleading.

>  If in time your sqlite format is AWESOME, I'm sure we will switch,
> but until that time we will continue to use the xml files.

 sqlite has been around in createrepo since Feb. 2007, database-only
work has been ongoing since at least Mar. 2008. Generating sqlite by
default has been there since Apr. 2009.
 But, hey, feel free to do nothing for another few years and then
complain.