[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 4 16:02:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 09:01 -0600, Matthew Dawkins wrote:

> You can see primary is_NOT 30% larger but more like 120% larger.

Decompress them.

> If the patch is done right it can give each individual user their
> desired results. It would be easy to add a switch to the command like
> the opensuse patch does. ie
>
> createrepo --lzma\xz\bz2\gz

Each user of createrepo - not each user of the repo. And since the users
of createrepo don't REALLY matter it seems odd to be targetting them as
a 'user'.

the trick is making repos which will work with old and new versions of
various pkg mgmt tools.

> and leave the default as gz for xml files and bz2 for sqlite files.
> That way nothing changes for the normal default usage, but if one
> would like to enhance their compression of the xml or sqlite files,
> that would be their choice to add the extra switch. I don't understand
> why that gets confused with trying to masquerade and being compatible?

But it means when I look at the repomd.xml
I see the 'primary' datatype and the file is in a format I CANNOT read
on an older ver of yum, apt or smart. And if there are no other options
available for my pkgmgmt tool in then we have a repo which cannot be
read at all.

So then we get a user who complains that a repo is advertising itself as
a particular type of repo but it has unreadable metadata files.

that's the merit in having different names for the datatypes, OR
as I've suggested elsewhere we have a way of specifying the compression
format in the datatype entry as an attribute so we can know if we're
going to be compat with a repo just by looking at the repomd.xml and not
wasting time/bandwidth downloading the files.

that's what all this about.