[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

Matthew Dawkins mattydaw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 15:01:29 UTC 2010

> Double in size? Not sure where you get double in size from.
>
> for primary it seems to be about 30% larger - which is one of the things
> we want to address by changing the format of all of it.

This is just one of my results:
668     ./filelists.sqlite.bz2
536     ./filelists.xml.gz
128     ./other.sqlite.bz2
92      ./other.xml.gz
472     ./primary.sqlite.bz2
212     ./primary.xml.gz
4       ./repomd.xml

for filelists the sqlite is smaller by almost half.
> for other/changelog the sqlite is 12% larger.

You can see primary is_NOT 30% larger but more like 120% larger.  Although
filelists is only around 25% larger. So...?

> I'm not terribly interested in accepting that patch upstream. It'll just
> be breaking compat for lots and lots of tools and breaking compat w/o
> making other beneficial changes to the format of things is unwise.
>
> It means we'll have repos masquerading as compatible which are not.

If the patch is done right it can give each individual user their desired
results. It would be easy to add a switch to the command like the opensuse
patch does. ie

createrepo --lzma\xz\bz2\gz

and leave the default as gz for xml files and bz2 for sqlite files. That way
nothing changes for the normal default usage, but if one would like to
enhance their compression of the xml or sqlite files, that would be their
choice to add the extra switch. I don't understand why that gets confused
with trying to masquerade and being compatible?