[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 4 15:00:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 12:28 +0200, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
> On 08/03/2010 06:02 PM, James Antill wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 11:14 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >   *shrug*, I'm not sure why we'd want to add support for lzma on the
> > obsolete .xml files. Smart and apt both support .sqlite now, and if
> > zypper doesn't they can always use modifyrepo to add them for SuSE.
> >   Also calling them "primary_db.xz" would fit the convention with
> > "groups.gz".
>
> obsolete xml files?
>
> This comes as a surprise for me. We don't support sqlite files because
> we don't need to. solv files are faster than any sqlite database.

 I'm sure solv files _could_ take 0.00001 instead of .sqlite's 0.01 to
do operations, I don't find that compelling though.

> I find really ugly that sqlite is used as an standard because a
> performance problem with xml specific to yum and fedora.

 If you want to say "yum sucks, zypper rules" feel free ... on your
blog.

 However, I do recommend you refrain from arguing that zypper converting
XML to solv files is faster than yum not doing any conversion ... it
seems less "I do bad benchmarks" and more "I'm insane", and even people
not familiar with yum can notice it.
 Really, you are disappointing us, we are used to much better
misinformation campaigns.