[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 4 14:26:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 17:03 -0600, Matthew Dawkins wrote:

> So if I understand this right. The push is to drop xml entirely and
> push sqlitedb which is double in size and not necessarily faster?

Double in size? Not sure where you get double in size from.

for primary it seems to be about 30% larger - which is one of the things
we want to address by changing the format of all of it.

for filelists the sqlite is smaller by almost half.
for other/changelog the sqlite is 12% larger.

> Is anyone else interested in helping produce a patch to give the users
> a decision to compress the xml files with xz or lzma and not be piggy
> backed on the gz files?

I'm not terribly interested in accepting that patch upstream. It'll just
be breaking compat for lots and lots of tools and breaking compat w/o
making other beneficial changes to the format of things is unwise.

It means we'll have repos masquerading as compatible which are not.