[Rpm-metadata] adding different compression types to createrepo

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 3 15:07:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 17:39 -0600, Matthew Dawkins wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to the list, but not new to using createrepo and yum
> for repo creation.
>
> I'm looking to find if there are not patches out there to add an
> option to calling for lzma or xz compression of the metafiles instead
> of gzip. I have seen  what opensuse uses to compress the primary.xml
> in conjunction with the gzip compression and I have extended on it to
> compress the other and filelists files too, but they don't really add
> clean functionality.

there aren't any upstream, yet. I just got a python liblzma pkg into
fedora to support that compression natively in python. So that's half of
it. The biggest trick is having to name the datatype in repomd.xml to
reflect the compression format since older yums (and apts and smarts,
etc) won't necessarily be able to handle lzma compressed files.