[Rpm-metadata] versioning for updateinfo.xml

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett dmacvicar at suse.de
Tue May 12 11:25:59 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:
>> Hi guys, is there any versioning tag defined to version the
>> updateinfo.xml file? any plan yet how to handle future formats to the
>> file?
>>

> We could version it in the repomd.xml like we do with the dbversion of
> the sqlite dbs. What enhancements to the updateinfo.xml format are you
> suggested that you would need a versioned file for?

Right now none that we would like to introduce immediately. (especially
since most changes would need to be implemented in ZYpp at the same time
as in upstream yum) But if we add changes in the future we want to make
sure applications wont break.

May be we can add a common <data-version> tag for data resources and
agree that if the tag is not there then we assume 1 ?

Changes I would like to see in the future for updateinfo.xml is the
split of severity and priority
http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2008-December/001017.html

And for general rpmmd, lzma support:
http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/yum/2009-April/022625.html

is that one hard to implement in current yum?

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Engineering Manager, YaST