[Rpm-metadata] sha==sha1 (was: -s/--checksum deprecated)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Apr 18 19:24:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 03:16:45PM -0400, James Antill wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 11:56 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > It works with '-s sha1', thanks! I checked it with RHEL5 clients,
> > e.g. yum-3.2.19-18.el5.
> >
> > It bails out in yum/misc.py when using '-s sha' (which yum maps
> > internally onto sha1).
>
>  Yum does the mapping for misc.checksum(), which is what the package
> hash checking uses, because as you say it is part of the metadata std.
> that sha == sha1.
>  But do we really want to spread this around? Why do you want to use it?

The rationale was part of the trimmed away parts of my mail. :)

But here it goes again: All generated metadata before F11 have had or
still have "sha" instead of "sha1". Therefore some tools hardcoded
"sha" into their parsing/checksumming parts. I know smart has this
problem, and quite likely apt as well. W/o the patch `createrepo -s
sha ...' breaks.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net