[Rpm-metadata] Idea for createrepo

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Mon Jan 14 22:37:56 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 09:37 +1100, John Newbigin wrote:
>
>>There is a problem I have been facing for a while now with createrepo. I
>>don't think it would be too hard to solve but I am no python programmer.
>>
>>I would like to be able to generate repodata for a web directory.  This
>>will be a local web server with some read-only packages (which are not
>>available via the filesystem).  I would like createrepo to get the list
>>of files via http and download them via http (206 Partial Content is
>>available). The resulting metadata will be stored on the local filesystem.
>>
>>I am sure this is possible but I don't know if http access is built in
>>(like in php for example) or if it would be a lot of work.
>>

> What's the problem you're trying to solve here?
I have a web directory full of RPMS.  I can read the files via http.  I
can not write to the directory because it does not exist (it is a DVD
image).

If I could write the metadata to the filesystem then I can combine the
files with the DVD contents using web server magic and turn the
directory into a yum repository.

In short I want to run something like this:
createrepo -o . http://localhost/centos/iso/4.5/RPMS/

Does that explain it?

John.