[Rpm-metadata] updateinfo.xml type

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 10 16:40:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 17:25 +0100, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We (SUSE) are trying to unify our patch terminology, and also to
> separate better the update categories we have.
>
> Draft: http://en.opensuse.org/Maintenance/Code11/Terminology
>
> I have been trying to see how can we incorporate this into the metadata,
> so I have been looking into Fedora10 patches?
>
> <update from="updates at fedoraproject.org" status="stable" type="bugfix"
> version="1.4">
>
> I also saw "newpackage" and "enhancement" ( I ignore all possible values )
>
> Therefore, it seems type, represents the category or "Why is there an
> update?" part of the terminology.
>
> However, on the SUSE repos, we have been using this field as a
> replacement for the old "category" field:
> "security", "recommended". Which is the first part (Severity Rating -
> how urgent is the update ?).

 Well only thing that uses it in yum, that I know of (other than just to
display it as text), is yum-security and that _just_ looks for if it ==
"security". So I don't see any problems putting "recommended" in the
list of things that can be there (I assume that's just bugfix which is
highly recommended?).

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora