[Rpm-metadata] createrepo, --update and the sqlite database

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 15:55:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:28:55 -0400
Mike McLean <mikem at redhat.com> wrote:

> Since I wrote the --update code, I guess I should be the one. I'll
> look at this this week. I suspect this will be nontrivial (i.e. at
> least as much work as the original --update patch).

I have to wonder just how much time is really saved here though.  I
thought that once createrepo is to the point of dumping to an sqlite
file that it has all the information from the xml files in question and
it doesn't have to go touching every package in the tree which is where
the real time delays come in.  Also the code that is generating the
sqlite content is compiled C and quite fast IIRC.  Are we really
expecting a significant speedup here?

--
Jesse Keating