[Rpm-metadata] dumpMetadata utf-8 question

Jay Soffian jay-rpm at soffian.org
Thu Jan 4 20:39:18 UTC 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Jay Soffian wrote:

> I've modified dumpMetadata to: a) pass all strings through
> utf8String; and b) allow you to optionally specify the encoding
> that was in use when the RPM was constructed.

Comments on attached patch please. I've cc'd yum-devel since I plan
to eventually patch yum to respect the encoding provided (if any) to
createrepo. Original message (for yum-devel readers) here:

https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2007-January/
000738.html

Questions:

- Is it insane to attempt to respect a non-utf8 encoding with yum
since RPMs don't natively specify the encoding in which they were
constructed?

- Is the proposed extension to the rpm-metadata xml schema acceptable?

Thanks,

j.