[Rpm-metadata] Setting up2date to work with yum repository

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 5 14:11:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:20:06AM +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 05:17:48PM -0700, Peter Blajev wrote:
>
> > The problem I'm having is to configure up2date to work with the repository. I
> > know this list is not for up2date discussions but I hope there is someone who
> > has already done that and can give me a quick answer.
>
> The quick answer is: RHEL4's up2date does not work with new-style yum
> repositories, although some code is there in an attempt to make it work.
> I tried to fix this, but did not succeed in a reasonable timeframe, so
> for X/OS Linux (our RHEL4 rebuild) I use old-style yum repositories for
> up2date, created witgh yum-arch.  I made some fixes too, and an
> extension to fix the zero-package-size problem.

The version of up2date that came out with Update 3 or 4 does handle the
new-style repos.  However, you have to have yum proper installed as
up2date just imports yum code.

In your sources file you need a line like this:

   repomd reponame url

Jack

> See http://download.xoslinux.org/pub/xoslinux/4/i386/updates/SRPMS/up2date-4.4.69-25.XOS.2.src.rpm for the patches I made (note that the tarball is
> X/OS-Linux specific, but the generic patches are included separately
> in the src.rpm).
>
> --
> --    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>
> --    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Phone: +31 20 6938364
> --    Amsterdam, The Netherlands        |     Fax: +31 20 6948204

Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>
Campus Linux Services Project Lead
Information Technology Division, NC State University
GPG Fingerprint: 1917 5AC1 E828 9337 7AA4  EA6B 213B 765F 3B6A 5B89