[Rpm-metadata] Compatibility between yum (version 2.0.6) with the latest !!

Aawardhan Logandhan aawardhan at gmail.com
Wed May 31 09:25:36 UTC 2006

Hi,

Consider a situation in which there is a RPM repository which stores all the
latest RPMs. And there are, say, 100 target machine in the network, which
has to be updated with the latest versions from the RPM repository. But
these target machine may not have the latest versions of YUM.

Now the new YUM tool will not support the repository generated by yum-arch.
Which format of the meta-data to maintian in the RPM repository.

Can I run both yum-arch and create-repo.. so that the RPM repository has
both the old and new format of the header files(meta-data).. now if the
target machine has new version of YUM.. it will look for the XML format meta
data.. while the target machines with old version of YUM will look for the
header.info file..

Is this true??? If not suggest me, how to solve the problem???