[Rpm-metadata] Zero epoch vs no epoch (patch)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Apr 30 17:06:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Paul Nasrat wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 08:03 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
>> BTW, I just realized the patch is against repodata DTD as epoch is listed
>> as a required attribute of version. It doesn't matter for apt whether it's
>> epoch="" or no epoch attr at all but of course we want to follow the DTD.
>> Just wondering should the DTD be changed not to require it, because it's
5~>> obviously *not* required by rpm nor deb so it doesn't make much sense
>> require it here either.
>
> I think we need to replace the dtd with a schema, I don't think it's
> currently complete anyway.

Right.

Hmm, while we're at it, a couple of future wishes/ideas:

- For example the epoch-thingie (sigh) affects clients pretty
dramatically, maybe there should be a global flag/attribute list of some
kind that the clients can check whether they support the format / the
format is usable with the client? Shouldn't of course be specific to the
epoch issue (sigh), there could be similar issues in the future as well.

- Should there be some kind of creating client name + version (eg
createrepo, 0.4.4) version information in the repodata? An example where
this might be useful: I got bitten by some old version of createrepo
having off-by-one error in metadata packages attribute - easy to work
around by counting the elements instead of using the packages value but
I'd rather not just quietly work around inconsistency in the data as such
things *could* (at least in theory) be something more serious.

- Somewhat related to above - should the repodata generally versioned
somehow? It's not inconcievable to me that there could be some
incompatible change required at some point, would be nice to be able to
check for such things instead of failing miserably :)

- Related to the above version thingy: if the groups-format is
to be officially included in repodata, the format would have to be set in
stone or at least versioned so a client can know whether it supports the
version or not.

- Please lets formalize the groups format and stick to it :)

 	- Panu -