[Rpm-metadata] Exposing split media

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Nov 10 13:26:49 UTC 2005

> Yes, or a splitrepo command to add that information in.
cool.

Do you have checkin access to createrepo?

> I was assuming it would only be on disc1, - I don't want to parse each
> disc in the set for the data, if you if you specify base in the location
> for the included xml to point at disc one then you could have just the
> repomd.xml on each disc should you want.

I wouldn't recommend parsing each disk. I'm saying each disk has ALL of
the metadata

so you have exactly the same repodata dir on each disc.

> Let me get something specific for test1 knocked up today and we can
> reiview/work on it post that.

makes sense

> >   Then:
> >  - generate a file mapping package->media/basepath
> >  - combine media/basepath + previously created package metadata into new
> > set of metadata, rewriting primary.xml and repomd.xml for new content
>
> This is what I was going to look at today, plus the reassembly side in
> anaconda.  I'd hope eventually we have generic reposplit tool as part of
> yum-utils, but for the moment time is the critical factor so that may be
> post test1.

or maybe in createrepo instead of yum-utils.

> Also it's not another file to parse, and we already had the info in our
> package objects.

yep. true.

> To be honest we're not really abusing base here, just defining another
> uri type that has more complex behaviour and allowing multiple bases per
> repo.
>
> The more I look at it basepath seems like the correct place,

 I agree. The reason I mentioned it is not b/c I think it's an abuse,
it's b/c I was worried about other people who abused it.