[Rpm-metadata] Follow-up on some old issues

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu May 26 03:57:27 UTC 2005

Hi Jose,
 Sorry for the long delay - I was out of town for a few days and not
answering much email.

> First, back in December, Seth brought an idea involving tags for
> relating package entries to removable media and the thread seems to have
> just died.  Did anything come of this?  If there is nothing standard,
> have any other projects added extensions that do this?  I'm interested
> in this since we want to try and leverage the same, or very similar,
> metadata on our update servers as well as on our installation media.

nothing came of it - but it's still needed. The ability to associate a
package with a specific piece of removable media is important.

> Second, going even further back in time to August of 2004, Seth brought
> up the idea of linking multiple repositories together.
>
> "I'm asking b/c it would be an interesting experience to create a
> distribution 'tree' that was a set of metadata repositories tied
> together by a central metadata repo that used referrals to find other
> items."
>
> Anything ever come of this?

no progress on that, either. The major problem from there came out of
how you specify and gather that information in an way you can automate.