[Rpm-metadata] Follow-up on some old issues

Jose Mercado jose at ximian.com
Fri May 20 18:43:02 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm working on bringing together red-carpet and the package management
components of YaST.  The plan right now is to use the format from this
metadata project with some extensions, of course.  I was wondering what
the status was of two issues discussed on the list last year.

First, back in December, Seth brought an idea involving tags for
relating package entries to removable media and the thread seems to have
just died.  Did anything come of this?  If there is nothing standard,
have any other projects added extensions that do this?  I'm interested
in this since we want to try and leverage the same, or very similar,
metadata on our update servers as well as on our installation media.

Second, going even further back in time to August of 2004, Seth brought
up the idea of linking multiple repositories together.

"I'm asking b/c it would be an interesting experience to create a
distribution 'tree' that was a set of metadata repositories tied
together by a central metadata repo that used referrals to find other
items."

Anything ever come of this?

Thanks for the help.

~jose