[Rpm-metadata] Re: Rpm-metadata Digest, Vol 16, Issue 5

Randy Zagar zagar at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 21 20:26:17 UTC 2005

When you say that it "raises the bar sufficiently", you really ought to
add "for me" to the end of that sentence.  You probably aren't working
for the same set of clients that I am.  In addition to having paranoia
that "goes to 11" as a job requirement, I also have to consider that any
RPM-based system I deliver may be deployed for 20 years.  Given the
current state-of-the-art, and my rather unique customer requirements,
I'd prefer to follow the "tripwire" philosophy which is to never trust
any single signature or checksum.

Plus, I'm not sure what the rationale for opposing an SHA-1 field in the
xml file is based on...  Why aren't ALL rpm metadata fields being
supported in xml?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just say "we support all
metadata fields supported by RPM"?  That way there is no need to
"discuss" whether or not something gets included in the DTD.

Anyway, some of these questions are just rhetorical.  I just brought
this stuff up because I was looking at the sample xml files and didn't
see all the fields I expected to see.  Anyway, feel free to ignore my
rantings if you wish.  My needs are probably an edge-case anyway and I'm
certainly not paying your salary, so handle it how you want...

-RZ

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 11:00, rpm-metadata-request at lists.dulug.duke.edu

--
Randy Zagar <zagar at arlut.utexas.edu>