[Rpm-metadata] primary refinement

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Feb 7 06:56:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 04:45 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb  6, 2005, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
>
> > summary
> > description
>
> I see a lot of value in moving these out to a separate xml file, with
> the extra benefit that these are the most important bits for
> translation (changelog would be the other bit)
>
> > packager
> > license
> > vendor
> > group
> > buildhost
>
> I'm not so sure about these.  I'd guess most repos wouldn't benefit
> much from moving these out, since they tend to have the same, or
> rather similar, packager, vendor and buildhost; license and group tend
> to be one from a small set.  I.e., all of these should compress very
> well.

I haven't done a lot of playing with options to see where the sweet spot
is for primary.xml - I have a feeling summary and description will be a
drop in file size but it's only going to decrease the node count by 2
per pkg. That's one reason I wanted to move out some of the other,
similar fields. Decreasing the node count by 6 or 7 per pkg could be a
very significant decrease for primary.xml but not be felt in a serious
way by folks reading in pkgdesc.xml (not a bad name for it).