[Rpm-metadata] groups, again

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jun 4 06:16:26 UTC 2004

Back in November we talked about having a common groups-format as an
optional piece of metadata. We moved a little bit on a format, not that
dissimilar to the comps.xml format that red hat uses for anaconda.

Let's look at some items of interest that have come up since then:

1. architecture and complete version specification in the group
   - I know this becomes pain but I can definitely see the utility in
this for various uses. Thoughts?

2. group hierarchies (as mentioned before) some way of organizing groups
into hierarchies for display purposes.

The items I'm guessing we all need/can use:

- groups are described with various information:
   names, descriptions, keywords, etc.
- groups can contain packages and other groups
- required packages and groups can be assigned values as to the
importance or level of their requirement
- ordering of groups w/i a repository

what else? I'm sure I'm missing some items. I'm simply going on the use
case I've seen with yum and anaconda.

thanks