[Rpm-metadata] small question on cooperating...

Carlo Daffara cdaffara at mail.conecta.it
Thu Feb 19 15:31:41 UTC 2004

Dear rpm-metadata people,
I would like to ask if it may be possible to start a cooperation with an
EU research project, called AMOS, that is trying to create a smart search
engine for open source code and in which we are working on.
As part of the project, we have developed an ontology for facilitating a
standardized description of code (and package) features, taking as much as
possible references to already existing standards (in particular, the Grid
Object Specification, and the RIB/IEEE BIDM 1420.1-1995 standard, with
many extensions. We would like to know if you may be interested in
integrating this description scheme within you metadata structure.
More information can be found at http://clip.dia.fi.upm.es/~amos/AMOS
(the project homepage), in particular the ontology is available under the
"technical papers" section, at http://www.amosproject.org/Papers/ontology.pdf

Despite the fact that it is not written in XML (as it is used as input to
a prolog-based engine, and the format we used was simpler to treat) we can
convert it easily, and adopt your convention. Some fields are unusual, and
mostly introduced to guarantee easy migration between different standards;
some other may be useful for certification/audit when coupled with a
suitable digital signature scheme.
Enclosed you will find a small presentation given at FSR2003, that
outlines some of our research activities; more are available at the site.

We hope to be able to help, and we will welcome any question.
Best regards

Carlo Daffara
AMOS project

PS: the ontology is at the moment under GFDL, but we can relicense it in
any way that may be compatible with your actual license.