[Rpm-metadata] metadata future enhancement

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Feb 10 21:41:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 16:16, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> Sounds just like what yum does - it won't download the packages if
> you've already got them installed/downloaded.  I think this is more of
> an updater/installer feature than a metadata feature, or am I just
> reading this wrong?

I think so :-)

A patch package is one that is intended to bring something you already
have residing on your local machine up to a new package revision.  SuSE
has a current patch-package thingy that apparently (I haven't used it,
only read the overview on their site) updates files in the filesystem to
do this.  Some people (no core developers to my knowledge) at
Fedora/Redhat recently tossed around ideas and code for doing binary
differencing of an rpm and then distributing these deltas.  (The user
would have to have an rpm already present on their system to apply the
delta to.)

-Toshio
--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>