[Rpm-metadata] metadata future enhancement

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Feb 10 20:19:39 UTC 2004

Something I think belongs in the metadata level is patch packages.  I'm
not as big a proponent of patch packages as I was in 1998 when I was
stuck behind a 28K modem though, so I'm not pushing this as a "I think
it belongs in metadata now" just that if someone starts hosting patch
packages it needs to be integrated at the metadata level so my package
tool can automatically find what patch packages are available from the
repository metadata, compare them to my cache of local packages, and
choose to download accordingly.

I don't know of any distribution except SuSE that has a patch package
repository yet, though.  So I don't know if this belongs on the radar
yet or if it's a "think on it and wait until someone needs the it"
feature.

-Toshio
--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>