[Rpm-metadata] createrepo output

Anas Nashif nashif at suse.de
Fri Dec 10 01:28:59 UTC 2004

Hi

seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 15:38 -0500, Anas Nashif wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I just ran createrepo-0.4.1 on a set of over 3000 packages and found out
>>that some package elements have this additional file element in "format"
>>  (<file>/usr/bin/t-prot</file>). What is it for exactly? Or is it some
>>kind of garbage that should not be there?
>>This package has one file element, some packages have much more...

(...)

> Those are file provides.
>
> Since an rpm can depend on a specific file we've found that in a very
> high percentage of the cases the files that packages depend on match the
> following criteria:
>
> *bin/*
> /etc*
> /usr/lib/sendmail
>
> That will catch 97% or so of all file depends in most distributions.
>
> This list was derived from a query of rpmfind's database for file
> dependencies.
>
> Does this help?

Yes, thanks. I think its a good idea to have those files in the primary
file.

The dtd did not help here though, because file is child of nothing and
format is specified as EMPTY. <file> under <format> did not look where
it should be, ie. rpm:provides or something similar would have been a
better place.

Thanks,
Anas