[Rpm-metadata] resolving file dependencies like /bin/sh

Dries Verachtert dries at ulyssis.org
Mon Aug 9 20:52:29 UTC 2004

Hello,

I would like to check all the dependencies of a bunch of rpms (to check if
there's no rpm which can't be installed by yum or apt). I changed the
import/test.py a bit and it works great, except that it can't find certain
file dependencies like /bin/sh.

I added some paths to repositories so the repodata information of the fedora
core 2 rpms is loaded and also the repodata information about my own rpms and
about the rpms of Dag.
I also changed the code a bit so the filelist is also loaded with
pkgSack.addFile().

Certain file dependencies can be found and certain filedependencies can't be
found and probably i'm making a very stupid error but i can't find it :-) Is
there mabye something important which i forgot?

 Examples of filedependencies which can be found:
    302 /bin/bash
     97 /sbin/install-info
     79 /usr/bin/python
     26 /usr/sbin/chkfontpath
     13 /bin/csh
     11 /bin/mktemp
     10 /usr/bin/gbx
      7 /usr/bin/desktop-file-install
      5 /usr/bin/tclsh
      5 /bin/awk
      4 /usr/bin/wish
      4 /usr/bin/ttmkfdir
      3 /usr/bin/cmp
      2 /usr/sbin/sendmail
      2 /usr/bin/guile
      2 /usr/bin/find
      2 /usr/bin/file
      2 /sbin/fuser
      2 /etc/termcap
      2 /bin/sed
      2 /bin/ps
      1 /usr/bin/time
      1 /usr/bin/tcl
      1 /usr/bin/rexx
      1 /usr/bin/regina
      1 /usr/bin/patch
      1 /usr/bin/newaliases
      1 /usr/bin/m4
      1 /usr/bin/lpr
      1 /usr/bin/bc
      1 /sbin/lspci
      1 /sbin/grubby
      1 /etc/cron.d
      1 /etc/aliases
      1 /bin/egrep
      1 /bin/cpio
      1 /bin/basename
      1 /bin/ash

Examples of file dependencies which can't be found:
   1752 /bin/sh
    425 /usr/bin/perl
    311 /sbin/ldconfig
     94 /usr/bin/env
     90 /sbin/chkconfig
     50 /usr/sbin/useradd
     44 /sbin/service
     30 /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir
     22 /usr/sbin/usermod
     17 /etc/init.d
     15 /usr/bin/python2
     15 /etc/pam.d/system-auth
     14 /usr/sbin/alternatives
      9 /usr/sbin/groupadd
      8 /bin/ln
      6 /bin/grep
      5 /usr/bin/gconftool-2
      5 /bin/rm
      5 /bin/echo
      5 /bin/cat
      4 /usr/sbin/userdel
      4 /usr/sbin/glibc_post_upgrade
      4 /bin/mkdir
      4 /bin/akanga
      3 /usr/bin/scrollkeeper-update
      3 /usr/bin/ruby
      3 /usr/bin/killall
      3 /usr/bin/id
      3 /usr/bin/awk
      3 /sbin/pidof
      3 /sbin/nologin
      3 /bin/mv
      3 /bin/cp

You can also get the same problem with the example test.py :
python import/test.py fc2os/ fc2dries/ xorg-x11
will show you unresolved file dependencies like /bin/sh and /usr/bin/cpp
Basicly i changed line 62 to
processlist = [phref, fhref]
but apparantly that's not enough to solve the problem. I also changed a lot of
other things but nothing that solved the problem :-)

thanks in advance,
Dries Verachtert