[Rpm-metadata] more updates - filelists and more! :)

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 13:55:13 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>new output files:
>http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/metadata/base-sample.xml
>http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/metadata/filelists-sample.xml

<filelist> looks great! Yawn ... ;-)

You might want to preserve the sort order on files. Having the files sorted
is a big help in ssetting up internal access lists. Sure you can
re-sort, but
file lists can get big.

> - filelists lists package n,e,v,r,a in a comment - I'm of two minds on
>this - one is - if it's in a comment we're paying the price for it being
>there in terms of data xfer, why not just specify it too. The second is
>- eh - don't make people parse it if it is not necessary.

One line per package isn't worth worrying about, comment or attribute.
There's
fancier things that could be done to tokenize path components if you
really want
to reduce bandwidth. Basically each component in path gets converted to
token,
sort the tokens on # of occurences, then assign representation like,
say, integer.
The sort on usage insures small integers for commonly used tokens.

73 de Jeff