[Rpm-metadata] files listings

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 22 15:16:28 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>>Header+payload md5 digest is unique but has the following drawbacks:
>>    a) id is too unique, the file lists will need to be regenerated each
>>time the package is rebuilt.
>>

>well they'll probably need to be regnerated anyway
>

>>    b) is rpm specific.
>>

>nevra is rpm specific? I thought debs had nevra too.

Header+payload md5 is rpm specific, read what I wrote, please.

>>There are issues with directories that are created, but are not "owned",
>>by a package that can/will
>>cause confusion.
>>

>how is that different than dealing with the file lists from rpm now?

File lists are "owned" by package, directories currently listed are just
a storage rearrangement,
as directories that are "owned" also appear in file list with type dir.

Directories mentioned in path that must be created to install file are
neither owned nor explicitly
mentioned in package metadata.

Mentioning directories in seperate enumeration must deal with "owned"
which can/will lead to
confusion.

73 de Jeff